The purpose of ISO 14001:2015 environmental management system (EMS) standard is to specify requirements for an environmental management system that an organization can use to enhance its environmental performance. The standard is intended for use by an organization seeking to manage its environmental responsibilities in a systematic manner that contributes to the environmental pillar of sustainability.
The ISO 14001 EMS standard helps an organization achieve the intended outcomes of its environmental management system, which provide value for the environment, the organization itself and interested parties.
ISO 14001 requires organization to:
- Consider external and internal factors that are relevant to its purpose and its strategic direction and that affect its ability to achieve the intended result(s);
- To address risks and opportunities;
- To establish policy, objectives and performance indicators;
- To control and monitor or measure in-house and outsourced processes;
- To verify, analyse and improve performance.
Based on the ISO Annex SL high level structure, the ISO 14001:2015 has ten (10) clauses
- Clause 1 Scope
- Clause 2 Normative Reference
- Clause 3 Terms and definitions
- Clause 4 Context of organization
- Clause 5 Leadership
- Clause 6 Planning
- Clause 7 Support
- Clause 8 Operation
- Clause 9 Performance Evaluation
- Clause 10 Improvement
ISO 14001 is a requirement standard which means organizations can be certified to it. It is generic in nature and is applicable to organizations of various sizes and background.
362,610 ISO 14001 certificates had been awarded in 181 economies by the end of 2017.
In order to capitalize the full offer of ISO 14001, organizations shall acquire an accurate understanding of the requirements and the intent of the standard. They shall perform a gap analysis to determine the status of the organization compared to the certification requirements. From top management to front line staff, all levels of staff shall acquire an appropriate level of understanding of the standard. Top management commitment is a critical success factor. Organizations should work on a realistic plan and not the least, ensure a strong buy-in from everybody. HKV offers a full range of improvement based ISO 14001 training courses and certification services to address your needs.
Apart from enhancement in creditability through third party certification, an effective ISO 14001 management system will deliver the following inherent benefits:
- Sustained and improved environmental performance;
- A platform for process and management control and improvement;
- Reduction in waste and cost (e.g. energy consumption and insurance premiums); and
- Facilitation of legal compliance.
Contact us on your questions or requirements on certification. Refer to the System Certification page for details on ISO 14001 certification.
HKV training courses are designed to offer different levels of staff the opportunity to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to develop, implement, maintain and improve an effective management system. Refer to the Training page for details on ISO 14001 training. Contact us on your questions or requirements of in house training.